The peridot birthstone, a soft gem formed under extreme conditions
The peridot birthstone is known for being formed under extreme conditions, sometimes found in the hardened lava that carried it from deep within Earth’s mantle as well as in meteorites that traveled from outer space! Read on for some interesting facts about peridots, and shop a few of our favorite peridot items below.
- Some historians even speculate that Cleopatra’s famous emerald collection may have been comprised of peridot.
- The Shrine of the Three Holy Kings in Germany’s Cologne Cathedral is decorated with 200 carats of gems that were believed to be emeralds but are, in fact, the August birthstone peridot.
- The word “peridot” comes from the Arabic faridat, meaning gem.
- The peridot birthstone has also been used for centuries as a protective talisman, shielding the owner from evil spirits and “terrors of the night.”
- Peridot is the gem given to celebrate a 16th wedding anniversary.
- Although most of the peridot seen in jewelry today comes from sources such as China, Myanmar, Pakistan, Tanzania, Vietnam, and the US, some arrived on earth on meteorites while others are found in exotic locales like Peridot Beach, Hawaii.
- Arizona is the main source of the peridot birthstone in the United States.
- With a hardness of 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs scale, peridot is softer than many gems and should be treated with care.
- Cleaning peridot is a delicate process. Never use steam or an ultrasonic cleaner, as your peridot birthstone is vulnerable to thermal shock.
- It is safest to clean a peridot gem with a s0ft-bristle brush, and mild dish soap in warm water.
- Peridot should be stored with care to avoid scratching by gems with greater hardness or other items.
In honor of August’s birthdays, we’ve curated a selection of peridot jewelry available online at Provident Jewelry. We are also available to make you a custom jewelry gift with peridot gem, and any other type of gemstone and precious metal. Contact us for custom jewelry design.
18K Rose Gold Pomellato M’ama Non M’ama Ring with Brown Diamonds
18k rose gold Pomellato m’ama non m’ama ring with peridot and brown diamonds 36d=~.36ctw
Henry Dunay Earrings
Stunning 18k yellow gold “henry dunay” drop earrings with 6.00 carats of peridot and 4.00 carats of diamonds.
White Gold Diamond & Peridot Studs
White gold round martini studs with two center peridot stones surrounded by round-cut diamonds
15 Carat Peridot & Diamond Ring
Lovely peridot and diamond ring in 18k yellow gold with 15.00-carat total weight peridot and .50 carat total weight of diamonds.